Food Lifeline is currently hiring 8-10 Data Collectors to assist with the Hunger in America study. Hunger in America (HIA 2014) is the largest study of charitable food assistance in America. As part of this study, every four years, Food Lifeline collects information from our network of food banks to identify issues faced by both the food bank agencies and the clients they serve. The HIA 2014 client survey will collect information directly from clients at food assistance programs across the country. Data collectors are needed to interact with clients and help obtain information on clients’ personal circumstances and needs.
Responsibilities of Data Collectors
• Participate in training session
• Travel to program sites in Western Washington to conduct data collection for the client survey
• Recruit clients, explain study, facilitate use of tablet computers
• Be knowledgeable about the study and client survey.
• Address questions during survey administration
• Utilize and troubleshoot use of tablet computers for clients to take the survey.
• Work in small teams (2-3 people)
• Weekly schedules will vary with different lengths of days, locations, and start and end times
• Must be able to commit to at least 6 hours a week for 8 weeks, with a potential for up to 30 hours/week
for 18 weeks
• Will report to HIA Project Coordinator
• 18 years of age or older,
• Interest in the study and its purpose
• Have reliable transportation and ability to occasionally travel several hours per day,
• Able to carry equipment (tablet computers and headphones) and supplies,
• Attend volunteer trainings
Desired Data Collector Traits
• Energy, enthusiasm, and patience
• Experience using tablet computers and connecting to wireless networks
• Comfortable interacting with diverse populations
• Comfortable approaching clients and asking them to complete the survey
• Use good judgment and show sensitivity towards Clients
Bilingual data collectors are also needed. The survey will be administered in English, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, and Vietnamese, so data collectors speaking these languages are desired.
Compensation: Food Lifeline is an equal opportunity employer. Pay for this position is $12 per hour and does not include benefits. This is a part time (6-30 hrs), temporary (18 weeks) position.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to time constraints, applicants will be screened as they apply and positions will be filled as soon as possible.