The Summer Learning Program is an academic program for elementary-aged students in Southeast Seattle, hosted by the Vietnamese Friendship Association and East African Community Services. Students will engage in academic instruction, enrichment and cultural activities, field trips, and recreation. This five-week program will be held 4 times per week, Monday — Thursday from 1:00pm — 5:00pm at NewHolly Learning Center (7058 32nd Ave S., 2nd Floor Seattle, WA, 98118). The program will serve approximately 100 elementary-aged students from the public housing families residing in the NewHolly Neighborhood. Students will be separated by grade level, and each instructor will be responsible for one grade (approx 18-20 students per class). Instructors will be teaching only 1.5 hours per day, Monday-Thursday.
Position Title: Program Instructor
Reports To: Program Coordinator
• Collaborate with Program Coordinator, staff, and volunteers to develop and implement lesson plans and activities
• Engage students in learning through well-organized one-on-one and group activities
• Monitor and encourage students’ academic and social progress
• Exercise effective classroom management of students
• Ensure safety and well-being of all students
• Preferred: currently pursuing or have a bachelors or post-secondary degree in Education or equivalent experience
• Experience in curriculum planning, teaching, and classroom management
• Good oral and written English skills
• Ability to multi-task and be flexible
• Ability to work independently and as a group member
• Familiarity and comfort working with elementary students and parents of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds
• Bilingual speaking ability is a plus, but not required
• Instructors will receive a $600 stipend for the position upon completion, (approx. $12 per hour).
• Gain hands-on experience with curriculum planning and teaching with elementary students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds
• Develop new skills and refine existing ones
• Apply hours towards degree requirements
• Work with an enthusiastic and passionate team of staff and volunteers
Commitment Required: Approximately 10 hours per week from Monday, July 8 — Thursday, August 8, 2013. Training and orientation will occur during the week of June 24.
A background check is required.
For more information about the Vietnamese Friendship Association, please visit:http://www.vfaseattle.org.
For more information about East African Community Services, please visit: