My name is Christopher Bonnington, the Intern for Seattle Police Department’s Victim Support Team, I’m writing on behalf of our organization to reach out to you regarding our next volunteer academy, I believe Sarah Sorensen; my supervisor, has reached out to you in the past regarding this opportunity, so I wanted to follow up with you and encourage you to spread the word to interested students or colleagues. I can attest that working with VST has been a extremely rewarding experience, and is a fantastic opportunity
for individuals studying criminal justice, psychology, sociology, women’s studies, and other related fields as well as individuals interested in community service opportunities and victim advocacy work. I’m including information regarding the upcoming academy, the open houses on August 8th and September 7th, as well as information regarding our work and the process of becoming a VST Volunteer.
If you have any further questions I would be happy to answer what I can, or direct you to my supervisor; Sarah Sorensen (email below)
thank you, and have a nice day.
Victim Support Team
Thank you for expressing your interest in the Victim Support Team. VST Volunteers work one shift per month during the weekend hours providing support, crisis intervention, and referrals to domestic violence victims at the request of SPD police officers. We are currently recruiting for our fall VST Academy, starting on Saturday October 5th. The VST fall Academy will be held during the weekend on Saturdayfrom
9:00am-5:00pm in the South Seattle SPD Training Facility. The dates are Saturday October 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th, and Saturday November 2nd, 9th, and 16th.
Below I have outlined the following steps to becoming a VST volunteer. Please email me if you have any questions about the process. Thanks again for your interest in this rewarding volunteer opportunity!
· Complete a VST Application (found on our VST Web Site )
VST, DV Unit
PO Box 34986
Seattle WA 98124
· Attend the open house dates. Please RSVP for Open House date, Thursday August 8thfrom 6:30 pm-8:00 pm, or Saturday September 7th from 10:00 am-11:30 am . (All Open Houses are held at the West Precinct in the Community Room, 810 Virginia St.)
· Once you’ve attended the Open House, you will sign up for an interview with VST Staff. Interview times are either passed out at the Open House or later scheduled with the Volunteer Supervisor.(All interviews are held at the SPD Headquarters at 610 5th Ave, downtown Seattle)
· If you pass the interview portion you will be asked to complete a SPD background packet and hand it in before the Academy starts.
· If you are accepted to Academy, you will attend 50 hours of training over the course of 7
Saturdays, one 4-hour police ride-along, and one 4-hour VST shadow shift.
This volunteer opportunity is very unique, and will change your life. It is a commitment that is not to be taken lightly, so please closely review the program and volunteer position description on our website.
Make sure this is the right decision for you.