Check out this message from a fellow student:
My name is Joy Mito. I am a student at UW working with a non-profit called Global Peace Youth Corps (GPYC). GPYC is an international organization that seeks to involve young people in the global effort to achieve peace by making a substantial positive impact on the local community level. What drives us is the vision that as people of various races, cultures and faith backgrounds, we are rooted in the same origin and human heritage. I have volunteered with this organization for 3 years and now I want to start a chapter at UW.
I am looking for students who are interested in the any of the following:
• Making a substantial and long-term impact on the local scale
• Character and leadership education through experiential learning
• International relations and peacekeeping
• International experience – opportunities to go overseas!! – see below for more
• Networking with young leaders from across the globe
As an organization with an international base, we have many opportunities to get involved in already developed global projects. One example is the AllLights Village Project in Philippines and the Global Peace Convention in Malaysia (see below for more details). However, as an entity at UW, we will be pretty flexible in terms of what we can do on campus and what local projects we can engage in, so new ideas on how to make a positive impact on the community are welcome!
If you are interested in joining or getting more information, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (845)216-9594.
Hope to hear from you!
Opportunity to go to Philippines and Malaysia this winter!
When: December 1-11, 2013
What: AllLights Village Project in Phillipines and Global Peace Convention in Malaysia
• Partake in an Alllights Village service project in the Philippines
• Network with global leaders in Malaysia
• Go on a cultural expedition around Kuala Lumpur
• Interact with the local people of Malaysia
How much: Student rate of $2600 plus airfare. If you join the RSO, we will fundraise for this together.
For more information about this opportunity: http://globalpeaceyouth.org/global-connection/
For more about GPC Malaysia: http://gpc2013.my/
For more about AllLight Village: http://www.alllights.org/wp/