This year’s Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program application cycle is beginning. This program is designed to offer advising, assistance and research opportunities to upper-level students who are planning on pursuing a doctoral degree and who are underrepresented in higher education (minority and/or low-income & first generation students). Additional eligibility information is available in the recruitment email below as well as our website: http://depts.washington.edu/uwmcnair/appinfo.htm
Any questions can be directed to me or the other UW McNair staff at email@example.com.
The McNair Scholars Program, which prepares students for doctoral study, is a federal TRiO program funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. If you are interested in pursuing a career involving teaching and/or research, pursuing a Ph.D. will help you achieve this goal!
The McNair Scholars Program offers many benefits. McNair Scholars receive academic and personal support from advisers and mentors, a research stipend to complete an original research project, assistance in applying to graduate schools, funding to travel to research conferences and to visit graduate schools, and resources to help prepare for the GRE, among many other benefits.
To be eligible, you MUST meet the follow criteria:
(1) Plan to pursue a Ph.D immediately after obtaining your bachelor’s degree without a break.
(2) Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
(3) Be a low-income student who is ALSO a first generation college student OR a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education (African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
(4) Currently be enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program at the UW
(5) Have completed 36 credits by the time of initial entry into the program
(6) Have at least one year remaining before graduation
(7) Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 for sophomores, 3.0 for juniors, and 3.2 for seniors
Applications are due Friday, April 18th by 5pm.