The Queen Anne Food Bank at Sacred Heart provides healthy food assistance to low income and homeless people in Seattle. We serve everyone who comes to our door without discrimination and with the utmost respect for their dignity.
This part time position provides critical support for our meal program and weekly food bank. Working closely with the Program Director, the Operations Assistant is responsible for interacting with clients, supporting and supervising volunteers, and overseeing the smooth distribution of lunches and emergency groceries. Finally, this position ensures safety and cleanliness of the facility during scheduled shifts.
- Open Food Bank three days per week;
- Supervise and support volunteers;
- Assist with volunteer recruitment, training, and scheduling;
- Manage food bank inventory and ordering;
- Plan menus for meal program and prepare ingredients in absence of regularly schedule volunteers;
- Oversee sorting and preparation of collected food and ensure compliance with current safe food handling regulations;
- Ensure that equipment and facilities are clean, available, and in good working order for volunteers;
- Ensure food bank distribution room is ready in time for Thursday distribution;
- Be responsive to and aware of client needs and behavior during lunch and food bank distribution times;
- Solve problems presented during meal program and food bank distribution;
- Lift and carry loads that exceed physical capabilities of volunteers;
- Provide back up for grocery rescue drivers as needed;
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and training.
The successful candidate should exhibit an ability to focus on task at hand and to be very task and results orientated. She/he must be organized, hard-working, and have good health and good strength; i.e., the ability to carry 50 lb. loads up staircases. The candidate should also exhibit good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work with others (experience working with and directing volunteers very desirable). In addition to these traits, it is very desirable for a candidate to have had food and kitchen experience, and thus knowledgeable in food safety and food handling techniques, and any work, or interest, in food outreach and/or interest in food justice is desirable. The candidate should have a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive the Food Bank Van as necessary.
Hours & Compensation:
This is a part time position, scheduled for 18 hours per week with opportunity for occasional extra hours. Shifts are 6.30 am to 12.30 pm.
- Compensation based on experience.
The Queen Anne Food Bank at Sacred Heart is an equal opportunity employer