OUR PROJECT | Stories of Us is a student community health research project through the University of Washington. The project is about the connection of Vietnamese Americans to the Vietnamese communities in Washington State.
OUR TEAM | We hope that as a part of this team, each volunteer will gain:
• Understanding of community based, participatory research through experience with the project
• Knowledge of community-public health, specifically social determinants of health
• Deeper knowledge about the Vietnamese community
• A connection with and appreciation for the Vietnamese community
• Assist in planning team meetings & attend all necessary meetings
• Writing reports & papers for publications; grant writing
• Data gathering & analysis
• Plan & participate in related community outreach
• Desire to learn & grow personally as a team
• Commitment to contribute to a positive learning environment
• Takes initiative in tasks & problem-solving issues
• Responsive & attentive to details
• Vietnamese language skills is a plus, but not required
• Ability to work with people from different backgrounds & situations
• Have had taken a research or statistics course, but not required
• Ability to attend team meetings & community outreach events
• Be 18 years of age or older
• IRB Certification (will be part of training)
• June – December 2014
POSITION Research Interns & Volunteers | Unpaid but available for course credit (or
LOCATION UW Campus Libraries, Other TBD
JOB DESCRIPTION Research interns will actively participate in a community research project by engaging community members to collect stories through various methods.
RESPONSIBILITIES • Carry out community research through phone & in-person surveys
QUALITIES • A positive, “Can-Do” mindset & ability to work well within a team
REQUIREMENTS • Actively check & participate in email conversations & web-based work
TIME COMMITTMENT • 5 – 10 hours a week (hours may be more or less)
CONTACT Please email resume & cover letter to StoriesOfUs.WA@gmail.com.
other possible options)
Contact us if you have any questions regarding: the position, the research, our team, or your application.
Please reference this job posting with “Apply / Research Intern / Your Full Name” in subject line of email.
APPLICATION DEADLINE May 18, 2014