Entre Hermanos, Seattle’s Latino LGBTQ organization, is looking to hire a volunteer intern for the 2014-15 academic year. Please see the information below:
Mission Statement: To promote the health and well-being of the Latino Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and questioning community in a culturally appropriate environment through disease prevention, education, support services, advocacy and community building.
Dates September 2014 – December 2014, with the potential to continue until June 2015, per the discretion of the Women’s Program Coordinator.
Time Commitment Between 4-16 hours per month
Compensation: This is an unpaid, volunteer internship.
Desired Qualifications: Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Develop leadership and mobilization of resources within the community
- Encourage participation in programs that provide support, prevention and treatment for HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infections and all other types of diseases
- Build the Latino community’s capacity with the necessary tools to achieve a better quality of life
- Help the LGBTQ community express its ideals and achieve them as individuals
- Encourage the participation of members of the LGBTQ community in activism and human rights
- Provide educational, recreational, cultural and social services
- Prepare outreach materials, publications, brochures and safer sex kits for outreach events and program gatherings
- Travel locally to attend outreach and community events with Entre Hermanos staff, including but not limited to, Gender Odyssey, Northwest Reproductive Justice Conference, and Seattle Pride
- Attend Women’s Program gatherings to support Entre Hermanos staff
- Create Entre Hermanos materials as appropriate using Publisher and/or Photoshop
- Other duties as assigned
Upon completion of the Internship, the Entre Hermanos Outreach and Education Intern will be able to:
- Demonstrate introductory knowledge of HIV/AIDS and other Sexually Transmitted Infections and their prevention, FDA-approved Birth Control Methods, Breast Self-Exam and safer sex practices
- Organize, prepare and attend community and outreach events
- Network and establish working relationships with community partners and members
- Facilitate ice-breakers and small group activities
- Utilize Publisher and/or Photoshop to create attractive and succinct documents and educational materials
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Latino LGBTQ Seattle community
- Current enrollment in an AA, BA or BS degree program, preferably a Public Health, Social Welfare, Gender and Women’s Studies, Sociology, Ethnic Studies, Chicano Studies and/or Latin American studies major
- Flexibility, humility and a positive attitude
- Commitment to social justice, equity, advocacy, fierce allyship and the LGBTQ Latino community
- Cultural humility
- Willingness to grow and learn
- Ability to work with a range of personalities, both inside the office and out in the community
- An open mind
For more information and/or to apply to this exciting and unique internship opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Latinos, women and LGBTQIA2-S folks encouraged to apply. For more information about Entre Hermanos, please visit us at http://www.entrehermanos.org.