The Mayor’s Office is seeking for 3 undergraduate interns to join the Community Affairs Group. The interns will work with both external and internal audiences to develop and execute community relations activities such as:
- Develop relationships with the community
- Identify and staff community events
- Plan and execute events and activities
- Assist in everyday office tasks
- Help to inform and to distribute communications and outreach materials Educational Benefit to the Student:
- Gain experience drafting and implementing communications and public engagement strategies
- Develop writing and editing skills
- Learn to craft and implement strategies to improve internal and external stakeholder engagement
- Gain a better understanding of city government
This internship is a great opportunity for students who are looking to develop experience in community outreach and engagement and/or event organizing and implementation, as well as anyone considering a career in city government.
The position is open to any full time undergraduate student majoring in either communication, human resources, public relations, public administration, sociology or closely related fields. Students must maintain above a 2.0 GPA while participating in the internship.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Ability to successfully multi-task.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Proficient computer skills/telephone skills.
- Experience in leadership positions or project management.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
Additional information about the position:
- Job title: Mayor’s Office Community Affairs Intern
- Compensation: $15.12 hourly
- Hours: 15-20 hours per week between 8am-5pm on M-F. Some evenings and weekends required.
- Start/end dates: Position will begin in the fall and last until mid-June 2015.
- Location: City Hall, 600 4th Street, Seattle, Washington
- Department: Office of the Mayor
- Application closing date/time: Tuesday 9/9/14 at 4:00pm Pacific Time
Find a link to the online application here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/950056/mayors-office-community-affairs-intern/agency/seattle/apply. Be sure to include the following in your application:
- Your unofficial transcript: including current coursework, next term registration and cumulative GPA
- Cover Letter
- References (2)