UW Educational Outreach is looking for an Administrative Student Assistant. The primary unit to be served is UW International & English Language Programs (IELP). This position will assist and report to the Program Support Supervisor. We are a busy office, serving over 700 international students per quarter. We are looking for someone who is friendly and outgoing, has an interest in working with international students, is able to work both independently and as part of a team, takes initiative, and is a quick learner able to handle a complex and busy work environment.
Please e-mail your resume along with a letter of interest to Dina Johnson (email@example.com) by 5:00 pm, Thursday, April 30 2015.
Dates: Must be able to start by week of June 1st, continue through at least June 2016
Hours: Must work 16 to 19.5 hours per week, spread over four to five days per week.
During school breaks could be up to 40 hours/week (full-time)
Rate: $11.00 per hour
- Coordinate Language Exchange Program, http://www.ielp.uw.edu/student-life/activities/language-exchange/
- Manage and recruit volunteers for the Language Exchange Program and Ambassador program.
- Maintain e-mail correspondence in a timely and professional manner with students and volunteers
- Assist with Student Activities: 4 – 5 weekends and one evening each quarter
- Assist with Intensive English Program Orientations (week before each quarter begins), and End-of-Quarter Ceremonies
- General administrative support including, but not limited to: making copies, filing, receptionist coverage, creating correspondence, assembling orientation and course evaluation packets, preparing certificates, preparing mailings, data compilation, and data entry
- Regularly assist with receptionist coverage
- Create campus and downtown student Weekly Planner in Publisher
- Word processing
- Assist the IELP Student Services staff as needed
Position qualifications and requirements:
- Currently enrolled as a UW student through June 2016
- Fluent English speaker with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Work on some pre-determined evenings and weekends during the quarter
- An outgoing personality and a strong interest in student services and cross-cultural communication
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, think on feet, be ready to adapt to changes and situations as they come up, be flexible, and have a sense of humor
- Willingness to contribute ideas and expertise to improve student services
- Experience studying a second language, living or studying abroad and/or interacting with international students in the U.S.
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Ability to follow directions, ask clarification questions, perform tasks with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, and follow through on tasks as assigned
- Familiarity with MS Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel, and social media
- Familiarity with fax machines, email, and copy machines in a business setting
- Possession of valid driver license and good driving record