UW International & English Language Programs is looking for a student assistant. The primary unit to be served is the Campus Intensive English Programs, assisting and reporting to the Director of Student Services. We are a busy office, serving over 700 international students per quarter, and are looking for someone who: has an interest in working with and on behalf of international students, is good with details, is able to work both independently and as part of a team, is able to handle a complex and busy work environment, and is willing to ask questions.
Please e-mail your resume along with a letter of interest to Dina Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5:00 pm, Thursday, April 30 2015.
- Maintain e-mail correspondence with students
- Manage mentoring program
- Assist with tracking student attendance and send attendance emails
- Assist with tracking other student data as requested
- Respond to sponsored student requests to provide admission and enrollment extension letters
- Report out-of-the-ordinary questions and special student situations to the Director of Student Services for advice about how to proceed.
- Maintain the CIEP blog and Facebook sites and make regular program posts.
- Lead student workshops when requested – Applying for College; Conversation Club, etc.
- Assist with record-keeping for sponsored students (Financial Guarantees, Promissory Notes, Mid-Quarter reports, Final grades, etc.)
- Arrange equipment and sometimes rooms for weekly student information sessions; develop announcements for students; and maintain documentation of sessions
- Create informational handouts and presentations on topics of interest to International students
- General administrative support, including: making copies, files, printing file labels, filing, receptionist coverage, creating correspondence, information packets, certificates, data compilation, data entry
- Word processing; Excel.
- Assist the IEP Academic Advisor and Director of Campus Programs as needed
- Assist with Orientation activities that are often held during academic breaks
Dates: Must be able to start by week of June 1st, continue through at least June 2016
Hours: Must work 16 to 19.5 hours per week, spread over four to five days per week.
During school breaks could be up to 40 hours/week (full-time)
Rate: $11.00 per hour
Position qualifications and requirements:
- Currently enrolled as a UW student through June 2016
- A commitment to helping the organization serve students in a timely and professional way; a strong interest in student services
- Interest in cross-cultural communication
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Able to think on feet, ready to adapt to changes and situations as they come up
- Strong attention to detail
- Good communication skills with students, instructors, and staff
- Proficient with English language; other language knowledge helpful
- Experience with Facebook and blogs
- Experience studying a second language, living or studying abroad and/or interacting with international students in the U.S.
- Able to follow directions and clarify procedures, perform tasks with accuracy and attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned
- Willingness to contribute ideas and expertise to improve student services
- Familiarity with MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Familiarity with fax machines, email, and copying machines in a business setting