Position: UW Livable City Year Report Editor
Application Deadline: Position open until filled. Full consideration will be given to applications received on or before November 21, 2017.
Start date: December 1, 2017
Compensation: $20/hr for graduate students, $16/hr for undergraduate students
The UW Livable City Year (LCY) report editor is responsible for overseeing the written development of roughly 30 reports (roughly 10 per quarter) for UW’s Livable City Year initiative, a university-wide partnership with the City of Tacoma. The LCY reports cover a diverse range of urban issues, including but not limited to: housing policy, pollution, stormwater, homelessness, food justice, infrastructure, and environmental justice. The LCY editor is responsible for editing, proofing, and the critical development of student written reports on a specific issue. Editors must possess an exceptionally strong command of the English language and have experience working with writers to develop their thinking in clear terms. Cogency, accessibility, and articulation are paramount. The editor is responsible for directly overseeing the editing process beginning with meeting and introducing students to the report writing process and expectations.
The LCU editor must be well-organized, a strong communicator in written and verbal formats, and be comfortable working independently and with teams, particularly in partnership with the graphic designer and program manager.
Ideal candidates will have a strong understanding of contemporary issues affecting cities, both those particular to the Pacific Northwest and nationally. Awareness of urban issues is important to helping students develop their specific research and writing in relevant, accurate, and clear ways. Ideal candidates will also have extensive experience working with student writers: working in writing centers, professionally as an editor, or as a TA in writing and research extensive courses.
- Work with LCY team to develop writing and report style standards (the student writing guide) for student report writers.
- Meet with each group of student writers near the end of each term to discuss professional report writing, the student writing guide, expectations regarding content and timing, and the editing process.
- Review and provide feedback on student drafts, requesting edits or additions as needed.
- Receive and provide style and content edits for the final document.
- Coordinate with Report Graphic Designer to deliver written content for final report compilation.
- Meet with LCY team as necessary to assess work progress.
- Meet LCY deadlines for drafts and final edits.
Conditions of employment:
- This position is part-time, with the expectation of variable hours depending on the stage in the report process (estimated around 15 hours per report plus meeting time). This would likely average approximately 12-19 hours per week.
- Undergraduate and graduate students will be considered, with a strong preference for graduate and PhD students. Strong writing and editing skills required. Prior experience supervising students and/or teaching writing or composition desired.
- Compensation estimated at $20/hour for graduate students and $16/hr for undergraduates. The employee must complete weekly timesheets and submit them for approval.
- The position runs through July 2018, with an opportunity for rehire in the 2018 – 2019 academic year.
Submit resume, cover letter and at least two editing samples showing Track Changes to Teri Thomson Randall, LCY Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions, contact: Teri Thomson Randall
UW Livable City Year Program Manager