Hey SOC majors! If you’re enrolling this Summer Quarter and/or this Autumn Quarter and want to put the skills you’ve acquired in sociological analysis to new uses as an RA (Research Assistant) check out this exciting opportunity. This is an especially great fit for seniors finishing in August or December or rising seniors and anyone who wants to learn more about research, evaluation, and working towards inclusion in the workplace
Get ready to pounce on this exciting opportunity!
If you are you interested in working on research and evaluation projects to help advance racial and social justice in STEM fields, this position could be a great fit for you!
Gain valuable research experience and skills in this paid ($15/hour) with CERSE!
Apply by May 21st, 2018, details below
The UW Center for Evaluation & Research for STEM Equity (CERSE) is looking for a UW Sociology undergraduate student to work as a paid Research Assistant
CERSE conducts research and evaluation on diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM fields. We are a highly collaborative team committed to increasing the participation of women and underrepresented minorities in STEM education and careers. Find out more about CERSE at http://depts.washington.edu/cerse/
This paid Research Assistant position ($15/hour) is 8–15 hours per week. Work hours are typically between 9:00AM–5:00PM, Monday through Friday, and are flexible depending on your class schedule. Approximately 90-95% of this position is work related to our evaluation and research projects, while the remaining portion is administrative duties. Our position is available for summer quarter (and beyond) but we will also consider an autumn quarter start for the right candidate.
Duties will include:
- Data collection, data entry, and database management
- Developing databases of publicly available data
- Generating descriptive statistics and data visualizations of survey data
- Conducting simple statistical analysis
- Coding qualitative data
- Writing summaries of analytic results
- Preparing materials for presentations
- Office administration
- Assisting with website updates
- Managing the CERSE email account
- Preparing administrative forms and problem-solving for staff
- Weekly meetings to train, debrief, and provide guidance
- An in-depth understanding of how program evaluation and research are conducted.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment
- Skills in analysis and visualization of data
- Skills managing databases
- Familiarity with efforts to broaden participation in STEM fields
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Critical thinking skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite
- You must be registered at UW-Seattle for the quarter(s) in which you work for us
- Preferred: experience with website management (WordPress), SurveyMonkey, and data analysis (SPSS, STATA, R, NVivo)
- We will train you on campus!
Time commitment & Equipment
- Between 8 and 15 hours per week.
- The specific tasks and responsibilities will depend, in part, on the number of hours per week that the student is able to work, as well as the student’s schedule.
- Regular meetings will take place with CERSE research staff to update on projects.
- Work will be conducted primarily at the CERSE offices in Savery Hall.
- CERSE will provide all needed equipment and training.
If you are interested in joining our team, please email Dr. Cara Margherio at email@example.com with the following information by May 21st, 2018:
- A cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working with us and what you bring to the position.
- A copy of your resume; include your anticipated graduation date, any relevant coursework, and/or research experience.